Friday, July 16, 2010

July's new baby hummingbirds!






In July the Ruby Red Throat hummingbird babies come off the nest
and are looking for nectar!
One dawn we arose to see so many new beautiful little
baby hummingbirds at the two feeders at our home.
The way I was told you identify the new baby birds
are the white spots at the tips of their tail!

The males will not have a complete red neck when they are babies
but will have a tiny dot of red..that will later become
an entire bib of red under his chin area..

I keep my hummingbird food fresh and make it myself.
In this heat you have to rinse the feeder out every 4 days
and fill it with fresh food.

I put one 1/4 cup of white sugar to 3/4 cup of water
I stir it well, bring to a slight boil and set the pot off
and let it cool. I usually make about 15 cups at one time..

I fill the feeders and the remainder is put into a jar in the
refrigerator to use next time..

No comments: